It is not an individual sport.
It is a team sport.
It involves a team of 12 in a crew (with a coxswain and a drummer).
It involves a larger team of 22 in a crew (with a coxswain and a drummer).No experience or skill is needed to begin with:
Very basic moderate health and physique for a start,
Takes a very short time to master a rowing stroke.
What counts is the synchronization of the paddling strokes (doing together at the same time).
Schools can participate in dragon boat paddling in the following:
- As an orientation programme
- As a trim and fit programme
- As a team building and bonding programme
- As a co-curricular activity
- As a competitive water sport, culminating in the National Schools’ Dragon Boat championship each year (organized and financially sponsored by the Singapore Dragon Boat Association) and other SDBA’s organized yearly competitions
- For keeping overall fitness
- For fun and friendship
Rental fee, instructor, duration:
- A 10-crew dragon boat for a 2-hour session in the water is $20 and $50 for the instructor/steersman/coxswain
- A 20-crew dragon boat for a 2-hour session in the water is $30 and $50 for the instructor/steersman/coxswain
- There are at least 10 of 10-crew dragon boats and 10 of 20-crew dragon boats available for each session in the water.
- You can have a mixture of 12 and 22 crew boats in the water each session depending on the number of each group you bring along
Who participate in dragon boat paddling?
- Students and schools’ uniformed groups.
- Adults (old and young)(men and women).
- Corporate executives.
- The Uniformed Groups such as the Singapore Police Force, the Singapore Armed Forces and the Singapore Civil Defence Force etc.
- The expatriate’s community.
- Breast cancer survivors.
Days and times Kallang Water Sports Centre opens for activity:
- Tuesday to Sunday
- 10.00 am to 6.00 pm
- Mondays and public holidays closed
How to contact:
Singapore Dragon Boat Association
Kallang Water Sports Centre
10 stadium lane
Kallang, Singapore 397774
Telephone No. 65-64409693
Fax No. 65-63452482
Secretary-General: Mr Lim Wee Kok